Skip to content

Assessment – how to know if you have OSA

Sleep assessment - find out if you have OSA

To get an assessment for possible sleep apnea, you first need to see your GP. If your GP agrees that your symptoms could be due to sleep apnea, he or she can refer you for assessment in a sleep laboratory.  SomnoMed also can help you get started by referring you to a specialist to get the assessment you need.

Treatment pathway

Sleep assessment

A sleep assessment or sleep study (known as  polysomnography) is a painless test that is normally performed in a sleep centre. You will stay overnight in the centre.

Staff at the laboratory will place sensors on your body to monitor your sleep. They may also ask to film your sleep to gain more insight into your sleeping behaviour.

Sleep testing can also be performed at home using a device that the sleep centre lends you. Not all sleep centres offer a home testing service.


After your sleep assessment

After the sleep test, your doctor will receive the specialist’s report. The report will determine whether you have obstructive sleep apnea and how severe it is. It will contain information about your oxygen levels while you slept and how many times your sleep was disturbed because of an obstructed airway. It will also determine whether you have mild, moderate or severe obstructive sleep apnea.

If you do have obstructive sleep apnea, you can discuss with your doctor the best treatment options.


Already been tested and diagnosed?

If you’ve previously been tested and diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea, there are a number of treatment options.  You need to find the right treatment for you.  If you would like to find out whether a SomnoMed device will be good for you, request a referral from SomnoMed and we’ll help guide you to the appropriate specialist near you.


Struggling with CPAP?

If you’ve had problems with a CPAP machine, or you’re looking for a simpler solution that’s easier to travel with, you may want to try an oral device.

Request referralRequest a referral to an accredited dentist near you
Back to top