When wearing an oral appliance or SomnoDent oral device to treat snoring and obstructive sleep apnea, there is the possibility that your lower jaw may feel more comfortable remaining forward during the day. Sometimes we hear from patients who are experiencing sore jaw, teeth discomfort or bite changes – if you are experiencing any of these side effects please contact the dentist that fitted you for your device as you may need to have your device adjusted. However, to help return your lower jaw to its original position, it is recommended that you clench your teeth together to strengthen the muscles. To simplify the exercise, SomnoMed has developed the Morning Repositioner: a simple dental appliance that fits on your lower teeth.
The Morning Repositioner helps to minimize the possibility of forward jaw movement. The Morning Repositioner is worn for only ten minutes after waking and can conveniently be done while showering or doing other routine tasks. To achieve the full benefits of the Morning Repositioner, clench or chew up and down as often as possible and hold for as long as is comfortable. These effortless clenches will aid in lessening the chances of permanent advancement of your lower jaw.
The Morning Repositioner can be used with any dental sleep appliance. Click here to download The Morning Respositioner Instructions for Use (IFU).
Morning Repositioner Exercises for Dental Sleep Medicine Patients
Given the fact that the Morning Repositioner is a hands-free device, an ideal suggestion would be to utilize the appliance while going about your normal morning routine, such as taking a shower. Or, while still in bed. In order to be proactive and help minimize the risk of permanent posturing forward and/or bite changes, it is strongly recommended that you perform these clenching exercises each and every morning upon removal of your dental sleep appliance. It is important not to chew or grind on the appliance as this will harm the material and not achieve the desired effect.
- Upon removal of your SomnoDent oral device (or other oral appliance), place the Morning Repositioner onto your lower teeth.
- Place the tip of your tongue as far back on the roof of your mouth as you can. While the tongue is in this position, close down onto the Morning Repositioner.
- Keeping your mouth firmly closed in this position, you can now relax your tongue.
- Clench as firmly as you can and hold this clench until it becomes uncomfortable to do so. Please note that it is expected that you will feel some discomfort in the musculature as this is normal.
- When you can no longer stand the discomfort, release the pressure slightly while trying to slide your lower jaw further back. Once again, clenching as hard and as long as you can.
- After performing a couple of clenching exercises, it is recommended that you open your mouth as wide as you can and wiggle your lower jaw from side to side to help relax the musculature.
- Repeat steps 2 through 5 time permitting, ideally these clenching exercises should be performed for at least ten minutes, every morning.
Care of the Morning Repositioner
- Gently brush the morning repositioner after each use – only use water
- Once per week, clean the device with SomTabs
- When your appliance is not in your mouth, store it dry in the case provided
To prevent warping, do not place The Morning Repositioner in warm or hot water.
How to order a Morning Repositioner
The dentist that fit you for your oral device will need to submit your case for a Morning Repositioner as they are custom made to fit patient’s bite. For any questions please contact us or your dentist office.